A police spokesperson says that since Murphy’s car was located in Albemarle, the case no longer fits the criteria for an Amber Alert.
According to Virginia Amber Alert’s official website, activation of the Virginia Amber Alert plan requires five elements to be fulfilled:
1) The abducted child must be 17 years of age or younger or is currently enrolled in a * * * secondary school in the Commonwealth, regardless of age, and the law enforcement agency believes the child has been abducted (unwillingly taken from their environment without permission from the child’s parent or legal guardian).*
2) The law enforcement agency believes the missing child is in imminent danger of serious bodily harm or death.*
3) A law enforcement investigation has taken place that verified the abduction or eliminated alternative explanations.*
4) Sufficient information is available to disseminate to the public that could assist in locating the child, suspect, and/or the suspect’s vehicle.*
5) The Child must be entered into the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN) and the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) missing person files as soon as practical.
If all of the criteria is not met, the Amber Alert plan won’t be activated.
More info on Murphy’s disappearance:
Alexis Murphy, a 17-year-old Virginia girl, has been missing since Saturday after tweeting “Burg Bound” to her more than 11,000 followers, CBS affiliate WUSA reports.
“She was en route to go shopping in the Lynchburg area,” said William Mays, a detective with the Nelson County Sheriff’s. “This was the last time she was seen by her family.”
Deputies with the sheriff’s office, the Virginia State Police and agents working with the FBI are all working to locate Murphy, of Shipman, the station reports.
“Alexis is very close to her family,” said Mays. “She has never disappeared in the past. In fact, she was looking forward to playing in volleyball tournaments later this week and excited to start her upcoming senior year in high school.”
Worried family members gathered at a local elementary school Monday night, where investigators set up a command post and held a brief press conference asking for the public’s help.
“This includes anyone who may have seen Alexis in her white Nissan Maxima…or anyone who has had any contact with her after 6:00 PM on this past Saturday,” Mays said.
Investigators spent Monday searching houses and wooded areas in Shipman, while two state police rescue helicopters searched by air. Detectives did not take questions during the press conference. Anyone with information is asked to call 434-263-7050.
Please if anyone knows anything please come forward. If you know the strange man she talked to, please come forward. The state of Virginia needs to give an amber warning for this young lady, there is no reason for one not to have been given. Please lets bring this young lady home safe and sound.
An arrest has been made in Alexis Murphy’s disappearance; Randolph Taylor, 48. Read more here: http://field-negro.blogspot.com/2013/08/hannah-alexis-and-american-media.html#.Ugp_iL7D_mJ